Michael Christian Durrant
Join the celebrated classical guitarist Michael Christian Durrant for an evening recital in which you will be guided through a captivating programme of diverse music for the classical guitar. As one of the most exciting classical guitarists of the current generation, Durrant is widely recognised for presenting beautifully varied concert programmes, his captivating stage-persona and his ability to summon forth a huge variety of tone-colours from the guitar.
This evening’s programme will include some of the most widely loved pieces for the instrument, including the wonderfully colourful Five Preludes by Heitor Villa-Lobos, the atmospheric La Catedral by Agustin Barrios Mangoré, and a vivid selection of movements from Suite Española by Isaac Albeniz – not to be missed!
- Léo Delibes (1836–1891) Flower Duet from Lakmé
- Claude Debussy (1862–1918) Clair de lune from Suite Bergamasque and Piano Prelude No. 8: La fille aux cheveux de lin
- Yuquijiro Yocoh (b. 1925) Sakura: Theme and Variations on a Japanese folk song
- Joaquín Rodrigo (1901–1999) Adagio from Concierto de Aranjuez (arr. Durrant)
- Isaac Albéniz (1860–1909) Granada (Serenata) and Asturias (Leyenda) from Suite Española
- Heitor Villa-Lobos (1887–1959) Five Preludes
- Agustín Barrios Mangoré (1885–1944) La Catedral
- Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart (1756–1791) Andante from the Piano Concerto no. 21, K.467
- Fernando Sor (1778–1839) Introduction and variations on a theme of Mozart, Op. 9
Tickets available online (no booking fee) or on the door at the following prices:
Season tickets for the 2015 – 16 season will be available before this concert.